- Three out of four adults living with hypertension do not have the condition under control, putting them at risk for other serious complications
- Lexaria’s proposed therapy for hypertension is the highly efficient DehydraTECH-CBD, which has presented with no serious adverse side effects in test participants
- Dominated by the North American market, the global antihypertension drug market accounted for $22,557 million in 2018 and is expected to reach $28,797 million by 2026
In the United States, over 121.5 million adults are affected by high blood pressure – with statistics stacked against people of color, those with a family history of high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, or kidney disease, and women who experienced blood pressure problems during pregnancy. According to the American Heart Association, high blood pressure is defined as a systolic pressure of 130 or higher and a diastolic pressure of 80 or higher that stays high over a period of time (https://ibn.fm/hsXw6).
For some, managing high blood pressure is as simple as changing daily habits or being proactive about monitoring it if there is a history or predisposition to the disease. Early detection can protect the brain, reducing the risk of stroke, dementia, and other vascular diseases that affect the brain. Although high blood pressure is not the only risk factor associated, being conscious of it can help preserve the brain’s blood vessels. Unfortunately, three out of four adults do not have their high blood pressure under control, creating an unmet need in the hypertension treatment market.
Lexaria Bioscience (NASDAQ: LEXX), a global innovator in drug delivery platforms, is using its patented DehydraTECH(TM) technology to address the unmet needs of adults with high blood pressure (hypertension). DehydraTECH is a patented drug delivery technology that improves the oral administration of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (“APIs”). The benefits of using DehydraTECH-enabled APIs include the following:
- Improvement of onset speed – effects of the drug are felt in minutes
- Masked unwanted tastes – eliminates the need for sugar-filled edibles
- Increased bioavailability – the technology is more effective at delivering the drug into the bloodstream
- Increased brain absorption – testing has seen up to 27x improvement in the amount of the drug crossing the blood-brain barrier
- Reduction in drug administration costs – the higher ratio of the drug being delivered is expected to lower the overall costs of administration
Lexaria’s initial focus on hypertension has been its DehydraTECH-CBD, which is currently in the IND enabling studies phase and is actively developing lead product pipeline candidates. The advanced hypertension program has delivered positive results with no serious adverse effects, with the most recent being completed in 2021, with 16 participants exhibiting a reduction of attenuated pulmonary artery systolic pressure of approximately 5 mmHg, or 41% overall, in male participants. The company’s corporate presentation lists all of the results – from 2018-2021 (https://ibn.fm/X4psb). Results are pending from Lexaria’s largest ever human clinical trial, where dosing completed in July.
According to Allied Market Research, the global antihypertension drug market accounted for $22,557 million in 2018 and is expected to reach $28,797 million by 2026, growing at a CAGR of 3.1% from 2019 to 2026. North America dominates the majority of the drug market. The market’s growth is expected due to the prevalence of hypertension across the globe and the interest in maintaining healthier lifestyles in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic (https://ibn.fm/W8mNR).
For more information, visit the company’s website at www.LexariaBioscience.com.
NOTE TO INVESTORS: The latest news and updates relating to LEXX are available in the company’s newsroom at https://ibn.fm/LEXX
MissionIR is primarily focused on strategic communications. We have executed countless communications programs to address the needs of companies ranging from start-ups to established industry leaders, gaining valuable experience and the expertise necessary to determine the most effective strategy for any given situation.
For more information, visit www.MissionIR.com