- Lexaria’s patented DehydraTECH(TM)-CBD achieved promising results for diabetes control and weight loss in animals during the pre-clinical animal study DIAB-A22-1
- The weight loss drug market was valued at $1.90 billion in 2021 and is expected to reach $13.26 billion by 2029, growing at a CAGR of 24.7%
- Many drugs used to control diabetes have produced results in managing obesity, which Lexaria plans to leverage with its DehydraTECH(TM) technology
Lexaria Bioscience (NASDAQ: LEXX, LEXXW), a global innovator in drug delivery platforms, recently announced its intent to conduct a human clinical study to examine its patented DehydraTECH(TM)-processed cannabidiol (“CBD”) for diabetes control and weight loss. The company has already completed a pre-clinical diabetes study in animals, which supports its advancement to human trials for diabetes control and weight loss (https://ibn.fm/YFGIl).
Lexaria had announced in two prior press releases, on March 2 and June 16, that its pre-clinical diabetes study DIAB-A22-1 in obese diabetic-conditioned animals, that DehydraTECH-CBD had achieved the following:
- Lowered blood glucose levels by 19.9% (p<0.05)
- Lowered overall body weight by 7% sustained over eight weeks
- Witnessed a statistically significant increase in locomotor activity (p<0.05)
- Lowered triglyceride levels by more than 25% (p<0.007)
- Lowered blood urea nitrogen levels by 27.9% (p<0.001)
Based on these successful pre-clinical results, the management of Lexaria has decided to undertake a human diabetes clinical study to investigate whether any of these improvements will also be evidenced in humans. Lexaria is currently designing the study, which will be followed by submission to an independent review board to gain necessary approvals.
According to the Centers for Disease Control (“CDC”), managing one’s blood sugar levels is important to avoid diabetes-related conditions, including vision loss, heart disease, and kidney disease (https://ibn.fm/V90mU). Generic CBD studies, mainly conducted in animals, indicate that it may be ineffective in controlling blood sugar. Lexaria hopes to study whether the DehydraTECH-CBD formulation provides additional insight into human blood sugar control. The company is encouraged by DehydraTECH-CBD’s ability to reduce animal blood sugar levels and believes it warrants additional investigation.
The DehydraTECH technology is designed specifically for formulating and delivering lipophilic (fat-soluble) drugs and active pharmaceutical ingredients (“APIs”). DehydraTECH increases effectiveness and improves the way these APIs enter the bloodstream. The benefits of ingesting a DehydraTECH-enabled drug or consumer product include the following:
- Speeds up delivery with effects of the product felt in minutes
- Increases bioavailability due to its effectiveness in delivering a drug into the bloodstream
- Increases brain absorption, with animal testing evidencing higher drug quantities delivered across the blood-brain barrier
- Improved drug potency, with more of the drug available to the body, requiring lower dosages
- Reduced drug administration costs, meaning that lower dosages require less drug cost overall
- Mask unwanted tastes and reduces or eliminate the need for sweeteners
The company has also collaborated with the National Research Council (“NRC”), the Canadian government’s premier research and technology organization. DehydraTECH is covered by over 30 granted patents, with more pending worldwide. The patent protection includes formulations for specific delivery of cannabinoids, antiviral drugs, nicotine and more.
Many drugs used to control human blood glucose levels have shown promising weight loss results. The weight loss drug market was valued at $1.90 billion in 2021 and is expected to reach $13.26 billion by 2029, growing at a CAGR of 24.7% (https://ibn.fm/jN9UC). The market is growing due to the public’s growing interest in how obesity contributes to other health problems. Lexaria is positioning itself to potentially penetrate this market with its human-based clinical trial of DehydraTECH-CBD and diabetes control.
For more information, visit the company’s website at www.LexariaBioscience.com.
NOTE TO INVESTORS: The latest news and updates relating to LEXX are available in the company’s newsroom at https://ibn.fm/LEXX
MissionIR is primarily focused on strategic communications. We have executed countless communications programs to address the needs of companies ranging from start-ups to established industry leaders, gaining valuable experience and the expertise necessary to determine the most effective strategy for any given situation.
For more information, visit www.MissionIR.com